What is the Best Blood Glucose Meter?
The body needs to retain sugar from the food we eat so as to maintain its energy levels. This sugar is known as glucose, and it generally comes from the food we ingest primarily carbohydrates. When this sugar travels through the bloodstream, it is known as blood glucose.
Insulin is a hormone created by the pancreas and it aids in the usage and storage of glucose. It helps in metabolism and controls the level of glucose in the blood. When the body is not able to produce insulin, carbohydrates are not sufficiently broken down, and this ultimately results in high levels of sugar in the urine and blood. Elevated levels of sugar in the blood ultimately results in diabetes.
There are two types of diabetes
1. Type 1 diabetes
With this kind of diabetes, the body does not create any insulin.
2. Type 2 diabetes
In this class of diabetes, the body does not make or properly utilize the insulin well. This is the one known commonly.
Pre-diabetes: Where the sugar level is higher than usual, also makes one susceptible to getting type 2 diabetes. In due time, having high glucose levels in the blood can result in detrimental damage to the kidneys and nerves and can also lead to strokes, cardiovascular diseases, and even limb amputation.
While it is highly important to reduce the intake of sugar and take on a healthy lifestyle regarding routine workouts and a sugar-free diet, the most efficient way to monitor and manage your sugar levels would be using a glucose meter.
The best blood glucose meter is ideal for home use and is simple to use, reliable and is designed to let you accurately observe your sugar level in real-time without the hustle of constantly going to the hospital.
What Is a Glucometer
A glucometer is a tool that measures the concentration of glucose in the blood. Glucometers are optimized for home use and they provide immediate results for the glucose levels in the blood.
After piercing the skin with a lancet- a medical device used for pricking the skin to get blood samples-, the blood, is sampled on a test strip.
The glucometer uses the sample to read and determine the level of glucose in the blood
The best blood glucometers are designed to use test strips laden with the enzyme, glucose oxidize. Once in contact with the blood droplet, the enzyme reacts within the interface of the glucometer.
Having the results can enable you to quickly determine whether the glucose levels are in the recommended range or if they are too low or too high.
The best glucose meter is one that is accurate and small in size to ensure that it can be carried around with ease and used anywhere comfortably.
Glucose meters are evolving, and it is becoming a stipulation to do extensive due diligence on glucometers and allow your doctor to advise you on the brand that will suit your medical needs
How to Use Glucometer
While using a glucometer, some important consideration is to be applied since this is a sensitive product that should be handled with utmost caution.
Below are some tips for taking care of the device and ensuring its optimal safety;
1. Always ensure that you check the validity of the test strips. If they are expired, they pose a threat to your health as they are likely not to provide accurate results or lead to other adverse effects.
2. Keep spare batteries for the glucometer with you always.
3. Be sure to adjust the settings of the lancing device to determine how far deep the needle will penetrate through the skin. Modern glucometers are designed to work with a small blood sample.
4. Do not prick the tips and pads of the fingers. These areas are full of nerve endings and drawing blood from the tips and pads may result in discomfort or even pain. The needle should be aimed near the tip of the nail.
5. Always change the needles after use. Reusing the pricking needles leaves one prone to infections and leave the needle blunt. This will make the process more painful and might even lead to the needle breaking the skin.
6. Do not squeeze the finger excessively to achieve a bigger blood sample.
7. After using the glucometer, always carefully dispose of the lancets in an airlock container that cannot be punctured. When purchasing the device, one can get the containers at the pharmacy or hospital.
8. The glucometer and test strips should always be placed in a clean and dry surface that is at room temperature.
9. Do not use the same spot to draw a blood sample on a daily basis. Glucose meter readings are best done when blood is drawn from the fingertips.
10. Follow instructions from your doctor on what time of the day to use the glucometer and what you should do in case of any low or high results.
11. After obtaining results, if your blood sugar is high, drink some water and incorporate some minor exercises. If it is low, ingest something with high sugar content. Insulin may need to be administered depending on your doctor’s advice.
How to Use A Glucometer Step By Step
Using a glucometer can be a challenging task especially if you have not done it before and technology is not one of your strongest suits. Armed only with the instructions in the user manual, attempting to check your glucose levels can be a bit confusing which can often lead to inaccurate results.
Once your doctor prescribes a glucose meter, it is important to inquire on how to use it correctly and finally follow through with the instructional manual. Here are a few basic steps to follow in using a glucometer.
- Soap and clean water
- Lancing Device
- Test strip
- Alcohol prep pad
- A journal
1. If the glucometer has a date and time, set it correctly first.
2. Use the soap and water to wash your hands thoroughly. If the soap and water are not readily available, ensure that you have an alcohol swab.
3. Assemble the glucometer, test strip, lancet and an alcohol prep pad.
4. Select a point where the blood will be drawn from. Preferably one of the fingers.
5. Place the hands in a position that stimulates blood flow, i.e., pointing downwards.
6. Power the glucometer on and insert the test strip in the machine once it is ready. Monitor the indicator for signs to place the blood sample on the strip.
7. Ensure your hand is completely dry.
8. Prick the side of the fingertip near the nail tip.
9. Put the blood sample on the testing strip. Ensure that the blood sample is sufficient to facilitate an accurate reading.
10. The Best glucose monitor will use a few seconds to determine the level of the blood sugar and give precise readings. After getting the results, implement your doctor’s instructions according to that particular reading.
11. Use the alcohol prep pad and press on the area where you drew the blood only if it is still bleeding.
12. Record the results. Always keep a record of the results as this facilitates the doctor with adequate data to come up with a treatment plan for you. Glucose monitor reviews have highlighted that the best glucometers can automatically store your results in their memory.
How to Use Glucometer At Home
Here are a few tips that you can incorporate into your routine to ensure the glucometer is being utilized as it should be.
Consistent Blood Sugar Checks
Be sure to follow your doctor’s guidelines and check your blood sugar levels at the required time of the day. Always remember to record the results in a journal or a notebook. The doctor will always look at the records to identify any changes that might need to be made.
Keeping a journal of what you eat will also be essential in monitoring what accelerates the high or low sugar levels
Be Prompt In Taking Your Medication
The doctor’s prescriptions should be followed to the letter. Otherwise, this will interfere with the glucometer readings. The medication helps in maintaining correct blood glucose levels.
Follow Your Meal Plan
Balance your meals and mainly go for healthy proportions of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
Get Your Exercise
Always engage your body in mild cardiovascular activities e.g. brisk walking, and swimming among others. This helps in managing the level of energy in your body.
Factors to Consider When Choosing The Best Blood Glucose Meter
To ensure that you are picking the best blood glucose meter, the following factors should be taken into consideration to get a device that is suitable for your needs.
The amount of blood sample required
Ideally, the smallest glucose meter requires only a small blood sample to deliver results. This is not necessarily the same for the larger glucose meters.
Ease of using
The best blood glucose meter is easy to use. It has a manual that has detailed explanations of how to get the best out of the product.
How long does the blood glucose meter take to display results? There might be an eventuality that needs the results in a short while. The best glucose monitor delivers results in under sixty seconds.
A blood glucose meter without the aspect of accuracy makes the whole process redundant. This is one of the key details that make the best blood glucose meter.
Discomfort or Pain experienced while using the meter
Using the blood glucose meter is not a painful process. There should not be any pain experienced during any part of the whole process.
It should be a compact size that allows the user to carry it comfortably and be able to use the blood glucose meter anywhere.
Storage of Memory
The best blood glucose, meter stores the results in its memory. This gives both the doctor and the patient an easy time in record keeping.
How much does it cost?
The price of the blood glucose meter should be in a good price range that matches its features and durability potential.
Support From the manufacturers
The manufacturers should always be ready to handle any problems or issues that arise during use.
The best blood glucose meter should get a seal of approval from the patient’s doctor.
How to Check the Blood Glucose Meter Performance
- Every time the blood glucose meter is turned on, it does an electronic check. If a problem is detected, it will display an error code. Look up the error in the meter manual and also how to fix the problem.
- Carry the glucose meter to the next blood glucose test performed in a laboratory and compare the results. Ensure you are using the right testing techniques while making this comparison. The values should align or else this is a clear indication of a defective meter.
- Using liquid control solution, test a drop of these solutions just like you test the sample of blood. The values should match.
Self-Monitoring Blood Glucose Chart (SMBG)
A person with diabetes needs to manage the condition by testing the blood glucose levels through routine testing. This can be done on the go or at home. This is referred to as self-monitoring. This is a means seeking to understand the impact of diabetes in life and apply changes to that effect.
When self-monitoring, you need to come up with targets and blood glucose goals with the help of your doctor. These goals and targets are essential in determining whether you are above or below which ultimately means that urgent action should be taken to restore the blood glucose levels to a safe level.
On the self-monitoring blood glucose chart, It is important to indicate the activities you participated in or the meals that you consumed that prompted your blood glucose to either go above or below the target range.
Pros and Cons of Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Constant blood glucose control has its share of pros and cons. Some of the advantages that certainly outweigh the disadvantages include;
- Helps the doctor to keep track of the patient’s progress and assess how the prescribed medication is compatible with the patient
- Anxiety levels are reduced and you gain a better understanding of diabetes.
- It’s important for capping the limit of undertaking day to day activities.
- Ability in determining the kind of food that is ideal for your blood sugar levels according to the best blood glucose meter. I.e. helps one to know how to balance their diet.
- Keeps complications such as kidney failures and amputations away. Knowledge is power. Using the best blood glucose meter regularly warns of signs of any severe complications.
- It is a relatively inexpensive way of managing diabetes in the long run.
- Measures can be taken immediately someone goes above or beyond the targeted levels. With sufficient knowledge, one is able to rectify the situation before it accelerates.
Some of the disadvantages of blood glucose monitoring
- While self-monitoring, one is vulnerable to errors made while using the blood glucose meter due to lack of user experience. These errors can prove to be detrimental to a person’s life due to poor readings which leads to other adverse consequences.
- The one time value that is given cannot be used to determine the overall glucose levels as they usually fluctuate throughout the day.
Top 10 Best Blood Glucose Meters
for All products
1. Active1st Truetest
When you order Active1st Truetest, either online or from the pharmacies that stock it, you are gifted with a blood glucose meter testing kit. The package comprises of a lancing device, a glucometer, close to 100 lancets and a book to manually input all your results for future reference. Its speed is fast and its accuracy is assured. This product is fairly priced and available to consumers.
2. Contour Next
This blood glucose meter does not come short of providing the quality that the brand is well known for. Contour Next is designed to give accurate results in just under five seconds. Has a non-coding technology that removes the need for setting up manually. It has a plastic exterior and requires just a small amount of blood to achieve results. It is a financially convenient brand and once an original kit is purchased, it comes with 100 lancets, 100 alcohol prep pads and 100 Bayer Contour test strips.
3. Bayer Contour
This German brand puts the client at ease with its non-coding glucose meter. Glucose monitor reviews has ranked it among the best blood glucose meters due to that fact that is compatible with a USB, has an impeccable color display to aid in setup.
It also has an inbuilt log book that makes recording results easy and manageable. The kit comes with long lasting and rechargeable batteries. The Bayer Contour blood glucose meter has a sleek illuminating port that provides adequate lighting in dimly lighted environments. To top it all, being one of the best blood glucose meters, the device has an in built diabetes software that helps in management thereby elevating its versatility.
This blood glucose meter is designed with a simple two button platform. The plastic covering is durable and has a brightly colored theme that customers appreciate. Everything about the AlphaTRAK2 signifies simplicity, from the lancing devices to the tests strips. It has also been recommended for pets that have diabetes.
5. TRUEresult Blood Glucose Starter Kit
TRUEresult Blood Glucose Starter Kit is ideal for accuracy and simplicity. It has been paired with above average TRUEresult tests strips and a digital monitor that displays all the results. It is not coded and produces results in approximately 4 seconds. The size is ideal for mobility and has four reminder alarms for users when they forget to take tests.
It has a memory database that stores all the important information including the testing results. This brand is unique and it’s above average features give it the perfect definition of the best blood glucose meter.
6. TRUEresult Glucose Monitor
TRUEresult is effective in monitoring blood glucose while at home. It is a brand that is able to manage diabetes. Glucose monitor reviews have listed it as one of the best blood glucose meters to buy this year. It requires just a small amount of blood to test and on top of that, it offers alternative site testing alongside the finger test. It takes only four seconds to submit results. With a purchase, you are able to get a memory database that can fill up to 500 test results.
7. Wavesense Presto
Wavesense Presto is able to give accurate results in four seconds due to its electrochemistry technology. It is an economy brand but despite this it has not compromised on the integrity of the product. The technology works to remove any possibility of errors and produces accurate results. This battery powered device has a rubber exterior and comes equipped with a lancing set, a carry case, and 300 test memory slots.
8. Precision Xtra Blood
Just as the name suggests, Precision Xtra Blood delivers precise results while monitoring blood glucose quite accurately. It is coated with a durable layer of plastic. It is fast, five seconds, and it has an easy-to- use navigation system that makes it easy to use. The test memory slots are 450 in total and they come with date and time stamps for effective follow-up. It is battery powered and uses a small amount of blood to perform the test.
9. Prodigy Autocode
Prodigy Autocode has managed to make its way into the best glucose meter list this year. This is largely due to the fact that it has an automated and non-coded system. It also has an inbuilt speaker that relays audible results.
These audio results complement the written results that are displayed on the screen. Prodigy Autocode uses only a small amount of blood to run the test and get accurate results. Alternative testing sites are supported.
As one of the best blood glucose meters, it is highly portable and has big control buttons that make it easy to use for anyone at any location. It is equipped with a USB port that facilitates the synchronization of data. This state of the art technology on this device makes blood glucose monitoring as easy as it should be.
10. True 2 Go
True 2 Go is a blood glucose meter brand that can literally be used on the go. It has a durable plastic exterior and it is identified as one of the smallest glucose meters. It has an easy to use platform and a coded system that uses a small blood sample for the test and provides accurate results in exactly four seconds. On the initial purchase, you are given 10 lancets and 10 strips to test the product with.
11. Bayer’s Contour
Bayer’s Contour has a plastic outer body that makes it durable and ideal for everyday use. It has no manual setup owing to its coded functionalities. It is simple to use and in only five minutes, Bayers Contour delivers accurate results. It is battery powered and has a capacity of 480 test results that are calculated using 14 days average. This is the best blood glucose meter to monitor the glucose levels before and after eating.
Final Thoughts about Best Blood Glucose meter
Diabetes has been misconceptualized to seem like a disease that cannot be managed. This article has provided a wealth of information on how to not only manage, but live a normal and comfortable life.
Part of diabetes management includes watching the food one eats, regulating the intensity of activities one participates in, and most importantly, incorporating the self-testing routine using the best blood glucose meters.
The simple method of using the best blood glucose meter will help you eliminate regular expensive visits to the hospital and assist you in maintaining your sugar levels at a healthy level.